background

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Clarification on Last Post

This is an update: I believe I have figured this out, at least for what I need to do. I'll work on it tonight and let you know. Thanks to all.
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I need to say that this is a picture of a quilt I found on-line, it's not one I've made. Unfortunately, when I went back to try and find it, so I could contact the person who made it, I couldn't find this quilt anywhere. So far, I've tried using a 4" center and sewing 2 rounds of logs and then cutting the block in half and re-sewing. The center matches up fine, but the logs don't line up.

So I'm hoping that my friend's quilt will look a lot like this one, but this one belongs to someone else!! I'm going to keep thinking about it.
-Karen

9 comments:

Diane said...

have you checked Moda's Bake shop? It does look familiar, but I can't place it. I just went through my latest Keepsake Quilting catalog, but no luck-gotta love a mystery.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Maybe if you start with HST instead of the square? Just a thought. Good luck!

Jo said...

Karen, I think the block is made by sewing 3strips of fabric together - one wider than the other 2. Cut out triangles alternating cutting from one edge of the strip with the other. Sew 2 matching triangles together for half the block. Two of these units would make one square.

Angie said...

It looks like the maker did a modified log cabin (large center block with only 2 rows of logs), then cut the blocks in half diagonally, mixed up the resulting HSTs and stitched them back into squares. Kind of like a Bento box, but cut diagonally instead. It's a very appealing look!

Penny said...

Karen, this appears very similar to 'True Blue' by Carrie Nelson in her book 'Miss Rosie's Spice of Life Quilts', but with twist and careful placement of fabric.

pcflamingo said...

I have a copy of a freebie pattern that I got from McCalls (?) or somewhere in orange/pink/yellow that looks VERY much like that. I will bring it to work and try scanning it and emailing it to you tomorrow.

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

I don't know who's pattern it is, but it is lovely. Good luck!

Jen said...

It looks a lot like the pattern here but with the wider strip replaced with two, sewn-together strips. Essentially you sew strips together and then cut triangles. Then you sew the triangles together into squares.

pcflamingo said...

OK, I didn't find the pattern I was thinking of, but I did find one that was even better. I don't like to photocopy copyrighted stuff but here's the info: www.aardvarkquilts.com pattern #AQ833 Beveled Blocks - still an active website and the pattern is still there on the website :D