background

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Patriotic Office Art

Summertime is such a wonderful season. It includes (sort of) Memorial Day, Flag Day and the 4th of July. What a fun time to hang a flag quilt. My office looks quite festive.This quilt has such a fun memory/ story. I was passing through Stone Mountain, GA in July of 1996. The quilt shop had this kit hanging in their shop in honor of the Summer Olympics being held in Atlanta, GA that year. I loved it!! So did my sister and my mother. I ended up calling the shop from N.C. and ordering two more kits, which I picked up on my way back to Florida.

Everything was included - what a deal :). I tried using the "Big Stitch" for the first time. I used perle cotton and a bigger needle. I didn't love it, in fact, this is the only thing I've done using this technique.

But it does look kind of cool. I used 1/4" stitches in the body of the quilt, and 1/2" stitches done in a star shape in the border. This is another quilt I need to re-do the binding on - LOL!!! It's so nice to see improvement in our work :).

Until next time,

-Karen

12 comments:

carol fun said...

What a great little flag quilt - love that inner border, it is a wonderful accent!

Abby and Stephanie said...

One of the nicest patriotic projects I've seen. I love the way you quilted it.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Wonderful flag quilt! Just simple and I love your quilting :)

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

What a gorgeous quilt! I love it! I like the bigger quilting stitches, but I don't think I could do them ... the smaller stitches are just too ingrained. ;-)

antique quilter said...

oh I just love this quilt, great job!
nice to have those patriotic quilts out this time of the year...I like RWB quilts all year round too!
nice quilting...
Kathie

Karen said...

The first time I big stitched a quilt, I was told by a teacher who taught the technique that my stitches were not big enough. That you are supposed to be big enough to see them across the room. And I had trouble evenly spacing them. Another teacher told me that she one of the long doll hand sewing needles for Big Stitch and that it helps take care of both problems. I tried it and liked the look but found the doll needle hard to push and pull.
I like your flag quilt. Certainly a good one to be displaying this time of year.

Wendy said...

It looks great in your office, love the big stitch as well. I've always wanted to do that on a quilt.

Vivian said...

I've not quilted anything yet with the big stitches, but I have a couple projects that would be good candidates. I think your stitching on this R/W/B cutie is just right.

Did you mother and sister finish their kits too?

QuiltSue said...

I think that's great. Did your mother and sister ever finish theirs?

Debra said...

Love it!!!!!!!

MamaT said...

It looks great hanging there in your office! I'm a little behind this year and just had my son hang my patriotic quilt last night.

Congratulations to Gail, too on getting her quilt done for her grandson. It's wonderful!

Cheri said...

Karen, I love this quilt. Simple and stands out. Cheri