background

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Bordered, Basted and Ready to Quilt

In the end, Purple Pickles got a border.  I really struggled with whether to leave it or whether to add a border.  After a trip to my LQS, I found this fabric and my decision was made.

It's got a black background and the exact two shades of warm and cool purple swirls. I added a small black border and a piping of lime green that has tiny black swirls.
Here you can see the quilt without the border.  I just felt that it needed a little extra "weight" to it as I was using some pretty dark colors.  Seeing it with the border added, this now looks totally unfinished to me.
Here is the final version.  I took it ouside to get a better picture and the center still looks washed out to me.  I will start with an allover stitch in the ditch and then hope for some inspiration.
It's a gorgeous day in Northwest Florida today, hope it is where you are too.
Karen

10 comments:

Terry said...

The border finished it off perfectly! :0)

Ruth said...

Yes, the border really sets it off beautifully! It's gorgeous!

Janet said...

I don't think it looks washed out at all - it looks fantastic! What a great border print and the piping adds zip :0)

QuiltSue said...

I think you found the perfect border fabric, it looks wonderful.

Teresa said...

I am not a fan of purple, but I think your quilt has changed my mind! It wonderful and the border is perfect. I especially like the small inner border.

Diane said...

the quilt is gorgeous but if you could send a little sunshine to north georgia it would be most appreciated! LOL

Diane said...

yes it's perfect!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

What a gorgeous quilt!

Janan Doster said...

The border is absolutely just what it needed!
When you can, when you have time, can you send me the fabrics requirements?
I might neeed to be shopping!!

Karen said...

Very good decision to add a border to your quilt. It helps the pickles make a closing statement.