background

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Pineapple Progress

Kind of sounds like the book "Pilgrim's Progress" doesn't it? Anyway, back to the project at hand. I've been working and this is where I am. Here is the quilt with my 4 focal blocks (2 big and 2 small) and the fillers to equal 10 blocks across and 10 blocks down. That makes this 40 x 40 without borders. Personally, I thought it needed more. And I didn't like the blue solid strip in the top middle. The small strips on the big pineapple blocks were to bring it to a total of 14 1/2". The bigger strips enlarged them to 16 1/2". Remember, this technique is all based on 2", 4", 6", etc. So I added one more row on the lefthand side and another row across the top. I also changed out the solid strip and added a row of half square triangles.
Here's a closer look. I really like the balance of the blocks. I thought the pinwheel blocks gave the most movement, so I used those more frequently. I also really liked the way the little yellow 4 patches moved across the quilt. I got that idea from working on my Trail Mix quilt (still need to get back to that.... big sigh). I forgot to show you where the kitty is, he's in one of the 16 patch blocks. (This also reminds me to update you on Rodger, nothing, and it's been over 3 weeks.....). This kind of makes putting a kitty in every quilt even more special now.
And lastly, I decided to add one more row to the bottom to kind of give it some "weight". I've sewn this together in sections so I can take it apart and then when I give the program, I'll be able to show how it all builds and goes together. So now I have to decide, border or no border?? What do you think??
Until next time,

-Karen

12 comments:

Andrea said...

Wow - I absolutely love it. I seriously covet it :-)
I think if it were mine I would add a small yellow border of about an inch or so and then maybe 4 inch strips of unequal lengths in some of the colours in the blocks. I have 3 cats and feel your anxiety about Rodger - one of ours occasionally disappears for a couple of days and I hate it and think he's never coming back. Hope your tale has a happy outcome xxx

Sinta Renee said...

YOur quilt is STUNNUNG! I love it!!! Just love it!

*karendianne. said...

Well right now I just think it's amazing and I'm imaging what this neat "technique" is that you're doing. I have no idea about the border. I'm really no help at all but I sure can admire and inquire!!!

Abby and Stephanie said...

Oh I love the little yellow 4-patches zig zagging through the quilt. It gives it movement.

Carla said...

Love it, love it, love it! Can you post a picture of what you are thinking for a border? Right now, without seeing it another way, I'd say no border and use a bright or darkish solid binding to reign it all in....very modern.

Karen said...

Oh, wow! Your pineapple blocks have taken on a whole new design look. I had no idea that you were going to be adding pieces and parts in. What a good idea.

Kim Brackett said...

OMG! Where did this come from? :-) Have I been out of it that long, or are you quilting in your sleep now? This is so gorgeous! I'm thinking a 2- or 3-inch border, then some more pieced blocks.

So sorry about Roger. I was really, really hoping he'd show up out of the blue.

Anonymous said...

Colorful and like jelly beans in a bowl! I doubt I could ever find myself working with such vibrant and bright colors but truly gorgeous!

Pokey said...

It is great! Yes I noticed that little run of yellow checks right away, too, kinda like a yellow brick road!
I'd border, for sure. It is definitely worth a frame, it's a grand piece of art :-}pokey

Vivian said...

It's fantabulous! astounding! you creative lady, you!
I would definitely add a border or two (2" and then 4"? or two 2" borders?) to put a calming frame around that wild, wonderful jumble of gorgeous blocks.
This is a great way to demonstrate that technique.

Janet said...

I really love it! I often don't put borders on a scrap quilt but I think this one is asking for it, just mho. Love the cutest little pineapple blocks ever.

Michele said...

I love this quilt the way it is....amazing! I'm sorry Rodger isn't back....I'm still hopeful for you.