background

Monday, April 18, 2011

A Little Tiny Roll

This is my latest distraction. I am finally starting to make some blocks for Bonnie Hunter's "Roll, Roll Cotton Boll" quilt from last fall. I decided to start with the string blocks and see where that leads. I got out my big scrap bin and began digging for lights. The worst part of this process is the pressing!! Believe it or not, the top actually fits on this! But as soon as I started looking for strings, it started growing LOL!
I've got 14 done - not too bad. It's amazing to me that this old fabric looks so good done up in strings. And using Bonnie's suggestion of phone book paper worked like a dream. I made sure it was an old one so the ink wouldn't come off, but because the pages are so thin, it tore off really easily. So this is my start, my tiny little roll.
It's off to work for me, hope you all had a great weekend. I know there was some bad weather, but it was glorious here in Northwest Florida.

Until next time,

-Karen

10 comments:

Amy said...

I really like it! It's so pretty and fresh looking!!!

Jayne Honnold said...

It looks great! It must be quite satisfying to see something so grand come from what would otherwise be thrown out as trash!
Congrats on a great effort!
Happy Quilting!
Jayne

Darlene said...

I love it - string type quilts are wonderful. Love yours with all the lights. :-)

em's scrapbag said...

This is going to be a great quilt. Loved the peek at your scrap bin.

Em said...

BEAUTIFUL!!! I am playing with my exploding bags of scraps too and it is so amazing what comes of them!!! Have fun and glad you are safe! Em

Vivian said...

This project from Bonnie is lovely no matter which step we see. Nice string blocks, and what a great way to use those scraps. You have a great variety of neutral fabrics.
One of these days I may start it. Every finished quilt I've seen from her instructions was outstanding! I agree--pressing scraps is a pain.

Janet said...

I think it's lovely in those colours, funny how the scrap bin can hold just what you need.

Karen said...

I saved the pattern directions as I like the look of the finished quilt. But haven't sewn one stitch on it yet.

Browndirtcottage said...

.....clapping...YIPPEE!!! You are really going to like this quilt. I am soooo glad I persevered and finished my top.

Kim Brackett said...

This looks really fun! The lights are really pretty - those blocks would make a gorgeous quilt just as they are!