background

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Weekend work on UFO's

I am finally seeing some light at the end of this tunnel!! I have been trying to put my studio back in order and finish a myriad of UFO's. Here is my pineapple quilt, ready to be basted and quilted!! Can I hear a big yea!!!!!!! It goes all the way back from here to here. It has been a process and a journey. I think when you go outside your comfort zone, that's what happens. I decided against the blue inner border from a previous post. It seemed too heavy and contrived. I went with this periwinkle blue/purple and then a tiny inset of aqua. The border fabric has so much of the aqua color in it, I wanted to draw that color from the inside to the outside (see last picture).
I called a friend of mine who's an expert on Pineapple quilts and we discussed possible quilting designs. I'm going to play with ideas but I hope to start the quilting soon.
I don't have a backing picked out yet, not sure which way I want to go. I'm still not sure I'm keeping this one, it really almost does glow in the dark LOL!!! But it is growing on me.....

Until next time,
-Karen

20 comments:

Kim Brackett said...

Did you hear me gasp? This is incredible! I can't believe you've finished piecing it. I can't wait to see it in person.

Anonymous said...

Oh so glad you decided against that darker blue....this border is waaaaaay better and makes your quilt SPARKLE! It is perfect!

Karen said...

Good choice on the inner border colors. You are like me. You aren't sure if the brighter quilt belongs in with all your darker quilts. Give it time to grow on you. Maybe a tea dye would tone it down more to your liking, though I think it is fine as it is.

Darlene said...

Woohoo - it's wonderful. I love it.

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

Yummy Beautiful!!! nice finish!!!

Leslie's Itchin to be Stitchin said...

It's absolutely beautiful, I bet it will look amazing once it's quilted. Great job!

Barb in Mi said...

Oooooh, it's just PURE BEAUTIFUL! No glowing in the dark, but a sparkling beauty!

Vivian said...

It's a wonderful bold, bright, sparkling quilt, Karen. You have to be thrilled with such an impressive finish. And aren't you glad you strayed outside your comfort zone?

I like the inner border you chose. A perfect color to blend the blocks & the border. Well done!

Carla said...

Oh, ya!!! The perwinkle iner border is perfect...doesn't overpower the beautiful wide border. Congratulations on a beautiful top, Karen!

QuiltSue said...

That looks amazing. I'm really interested to see how you are going to quilt it.

antique quilter said...

its beautiful, oh I think you should keep it
its one of those happy quilts, when your feeling sad pull it out and take a nap or watch a movie!
if though I am a repro person thru and thru this quilt is just calling me! It is beautiful.
Kathie

Becky said...

I love it, Karen! You had a very productive weekend! What a beautiful, happy color combo. Brings a smile to my face! :)

Abby and Stephanie said...

I love periwinkle and I love this quilt. The border is the perfect frame. Looking forward to seeing your quilting design.

Maureen said...

There aren't too many pineapple quilts out there and yours is a stunner! Love the colors and your border fabrics are perfect. Great job!

Jana said...

What a wonderful happy quilt! The border is a great final touch. Can´t wait to see your quilting.
Jana

Wendy P said...

I think I'd go with a vintage sheet on the back! That would look nice.

It is really pretty, and the colors are so lively.

Em said...

Beyond breathtaking, Karen!!!!!!!!!!! I love Kaffe fabric and to see all those little strips of beauty and your border, WOW!!!! Congrats.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Beautiful Quilt, did I say I love Pineapple quilts....LOL
Love the border fabric also, its just perfect!
Wendy

Michele said...

Beautiful :-) Love that border fabric! Perfect choice :-)

Browndirtcottage said...

WOW...It's crazy wonderful! Just think how truely FABULOUS it is going to be when it is quilted!!!