background

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Christmas Office Art

Here's my last office art quilt I'll hang for the year. I made this many years ago, and keep thinking I need to make a new one. But each year I when I get it out, I love it so much that I talk myself right out of making a new one.
It looks so good on the green wall - the red adds just the right amount of contrast. I will love looking at it for the rest of the month.
The majority of the blocks were taken from the book "Snowbound". I will share my Snowbound quilt soon. These folk art blocks make me happy. After all these years, folk art still speaks to me. It was my first love when I started quilting seriously in the early 90's. Here's my angel kitty (see the halo and wings?), one of my most favorites over the years.
This block of Mary, Joseph and Baby Jesus is very special to me. I did a small wallhanging of just this block for my mom several years ago. As you can see, this was all hand quilted. I still love hand quilting, just don't have as much time as I did.
The carolers are so sweet - don't you think??
The focal fabric for this quilt is the Hoffman Christmas fabric seen in the piece right above Santa. It's also what the angel kitty is made from. Not sure what year it's from but it truly is one of the most beautiful pieces of fabric EVER!! I have been working on a Christmas quilt done with this as the focal - but after 12 years or so, it's still in pieces in a box. Maybe that should be one of my goals for 2011!!
This quilt is based on this book. I think it's out of print now, but if you ever see, get it!! It's amazing and will free you up to do original works and have them come out perfectly!!
You have a menu of blocks to choose from - they are all 4 inches.
Then you pick a basic layout depending on how many big blocks you have.
Hope you can slow down enough to enjoy the weeks leading up to Christmas. Thanks for stopping in.
Until next time,
-Karen

9 comments:

Carla said...

Oh, yes... I remember that Snow Bound book I have made the Santa block and the reindeer block. I'll be showing a quilt with these soon! I admire your hand applique and quilting. Wonderful quilt!

QuiltSue said...

I love this quilt. I am having a hard time trying to decide which block is my favourite though.

Unknown said...

I love your quilt also. Very calming colors and I can feel cozy Christmas already! Btw I ordered the book you were showing. I think it will be very helpful for me! Thank you for mentioning.
Cheers from Jana in Prague, Czech Republic
P.S. I discovered your blog few weeks ago and I am the constant reader. Very nice quilts, ideas!!!

Janet said...

I love your quilt, no need for another when this one has some nice memories.

Carol said...

What a wonderful quilt! Love it!

Kim Brackett said...

This is one of my favorite office quilts! I love the red, green and brown. I still have a little of that border fabric -- one of these days . . .

Vivian said...

Your lovely quilt has so much to see -- I keep going from section to section -- yet they all belong together with the common colors and fabrics. It's a wonderful quilt, Karen.

Miriam said...

Love your quilt. Thank you for sharing.
That fabric is gorgeous and I love the kitty!!!

Karen said...

I missed this post somehow. What a great quilt to hang in your office. I am assuming you mean a work office. I never had a place to hang a quilt when I worked.
I have had that design book for years. Good suggestions for block layouts.