I have participated in five Bonnie Hunter mysteries. I never thought I was a mystery person, but I think I sort of am. There is a part of me that enjoys just cutting fabric and making units and wondering about what it is I'm making. But sometimes, the end result is not what you expected. It's just not you. That's kind of what happened this time. I just didn't connect with the design. So I put all the blocks away for awhile and let it sit.
And I thought about what it was that I didn't really like. I made the decision to rip all the green sashings apart. By changing the sashing the whole look of the quilt changed. The "twirliness" (I don't really think that's a word) was what I didn't really like. The blocks now are more distinct and the blue corner stones are more pronounced.
While the picture of the original looks good, in person this quilt just really wasn't me. And I didn't want it to just go to a box and sit there unfinished.
I also played around with the border blocks.
I just really couldn't decide what I wanted.
In the end I went with the original, just flipped the black squares to the outside instead of the inside.
It will go into the que to be quilted. It's a very bright quilt. Maybe someone in my family will want to claim this one.
The moral of this story is that I kept on until I figured things out and I finished the quilt. It's not a UFO and that makes me happy. Who knows how I will feel about this when I get it out the next time - it might just be me!
Pop over to Bonnie's and see all the final quilts.