Did you guess this one??? I'm not sure who did the palm trees, but I do know who did the elephant. And mine was neither of those :). The rules of this challenge were - pick a word, pick a color, pick a technique (all out of a bag). Then, the word had to be in the title of a song, and the song had to be the theme of the quilt.
This is what I wrote to describe my quilt.
I'm not super comfortable with art quilts, and that's what made this a good challenge. I'd had this piece of fabric for a while and I knew it had the look I wanted for the sky. Trying to find fabric to represent mountains, water, ground, etc. is always a challenge and I didn't want to have to buy a lot, so I was hoping it was in my stash. Several different batiks did the job for the mountains.
Next came the trees, shoreline, water. I was really liking it at this point.
I checked with a friend of mine who's an art teacher to make sure I had the perspective right.
Here you see the bench and the rust colored foreground. Once I realized I had the title of the song wrong and elminated the bench, I knew that something else was wrong, I just couldn't figure out what.
The next few pictures show the angst I was having with the foreground. What I finally decided was that the rust was all wrong. So I went for the grass/pebble look.
Here I was tring to create a shadow under the tree.
When I finally realzied the rust was wrong, I began to just pile on possible choices. I liked all the other parts of this quilt and it frustrated me that I couldn't get this part right, especially when it was right in the front.
This is when you walk away and just do something else. Fortunately, I had some time left before the challenge was due so I waited for this quilt to talk to me. Unfortunately, it didn't talk very loud.
I just pushed on until I had to make a choice. After days of fiddling with the fabric, I knew I was getting close - or close enough for me. I still didn't think it looked great, but I was at the point where I needed to just fuse this thing down, quilt it and be done!
It was finally time to quilt - yay!! I didn't feel like it needed a lot of quilting. I went with just impressionistic quilting - I'm still not sure if I like the quilting or not.
My technique was embroidery - not my strong suit. So I decided to just do some birds flying by.
So here it is. I think my favorite part is the water and the cat. I love that it seems the cat is patiently waiting for his owner to finish so they can go home.
As always, I learned a lot. Acutally, what I realized is that I'm really more comfortable with applique or pieced quilts. I'll keep trying things outside my box, but hopefully I'll feel more equipped next time.