Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Celtic Solstice - A Little Tweaking

So, after reading the comments from the last post (thanks so much), I decided to try and selectively move the quilt more toward where I wanted it to end up - without a lot of un-sewing.
Fortunately, I had not made anywhere near the number of units I needed (I am so glad) and so I was able to make some small adjustments.  The first thing I did was to make more green and orange units only make them darker so there is less contrast.  Since I'd already made a good number of those, I decided to keep them green and not change to blue.  The second thing I decided was to make the blocks the diamond shape and not the flower (points out) shape.  I had almost decided to rip apart the one flower block I'd made when I realized that with this layout I could use it as the center block.  My quilt will be smaller than Bonnie's small version, probably lap size.
The next thing I did was to make some more neutral triangle blocks using the darker blue fabrics.  What I realized was that the lighter blues were not dark enough and that was part of the reason the circle design was not showing up.
Here's what it looked like when I came down for lunch. To me it looks a lot different - and I have only had to rip out 3 of the lightest green and orange blocks.  I think once I actually sew the blocks together and tighten up the design, it's going to be okay for me.  Maybe not great....... but okay.  I'm still thinking of doing something slightly different in the border.
Pensacola got down to 19 degrees last night, not anywhere close to some of you, but still cold for this girl.
Stay warm and happy stitching.


Heather said...

So happy to see that you are going to be able to make this work for you. It is looking great!

FlourishingPalms said...

What a challenging mystery quilt. You've affirmed why I don't like to jump into those. I'm glad for you that didn't make more blocks to have to stew over. I do think what you're doing will be very pretty. And I admire that you're taking the time to work through it so it's more to your taste. Too many times it's just easier to sew and end up with something one doesn't like, rather than assess, undo and redo. Good for you and your perseverance! I don't mind this cold weather, though I'm indoors recuperating from my leg procedure. Hope you don't have to experience snow too!

julieQ said...

Love your gorgeous fabrics and arrangement!!

Carla said...

Your choices are are so gifted with this! I have done 4 of Bonnie's mystery but risky, huh!!

Lori said...

I think the change you made looks good. Generally I think Bonnie's quilts are pretty chaotic!

Vivian said...

The changes you made look good. The color choices on this one are so pretty. The secondary designs are always fun to see take shape in Bonnie's mysteries.
As long as I have other things to work on, I'm hesitant to put time and effort into a mystery. But I definitely enjoy watching others see their quilts take shape. I'm sure you're going to be very happy with this one, Karen.

audrey said...

The design definitely pops now! Great job. I'm so glad you are liking it better. Worth all your effort to make it 'yours'.:)

Janet said...

Mystery quilts can be hard to do but yours is looking great with your adjustments. It's going to shape up as a wow quilt.

Pokey said...

I think it's good that you can make it to suit you! Sometimes we are so tied to doing a block as written, that we can't accept a happy mistake...which I love the turned out block, BTW. You will be so happy with this one ~