background

Thursday, September 19, 2013

My Technique for Pickle Dish

Well, after much ripping out and trying again, I think I have my technique down for making these blocks.  They are different from the standard DWR block construction so it's been a lot of trial and error.
First, sew one arc to the melon piece.  I found I didn't need to clip at this step (usually).
Then sew a corner piece to the top side of the arc.  I did clip this corner piece.  I also re-drafted another corner template making it a little bigger so I could trim to size.  For some reason, the first blocks always came up too small using the original corner template.  One problem solved. :)
So this is what one half of the block looks like,  I press at every step.
Then sew a corner to the 2nd arc. Again, clip this piece.
Sew 2 corner squares on (these I also cut slightly larger than the original).
Then sew the 2nd arc to the melon.  It kind of bothered me that it looks so wrong, but after trimming, it was perfect.
Here is the trimmed block.  Notice the corner piece on the left sits on top of the corner square.  That was another thing I changed, I didn't like it on top.  So now the arcs are both under the corner square.
Here are the only ones I have left to make.  Yay!! Now that I know what I'm doing, it's not bad.  But this is still not my favorite step.  I'll be glad to move on.
And here's my craziness at the moment.  I'm sure this will get tweaked many times before the final version.
Looking forward to that for sure!  Then it will be on to trying to figure out how to quilt it!!
 
Have a great day,
Karen

12 comments:

audrey said...

I'm glad you were able to get that figured out. Good job on making it work for you!

FlourishingPalms said...

You're dedicated, and that's good! I'm in one of those never-ending piecing things right now too. It's hard to look past the moment to "see" the final result. Sometimes not ALL of quiltmaking is fun.

libbyquilter said...

this turned out to be quite a puzzle. i'm glad that you figured it out and thank you for sharing your solutions.
the pieces that you have on your design wall look so beautiful~!

:-)
libbyQ

QuiltSue said...

I'm so glad you got it sorted out. It's really looking great, and I love the look of yours, but I don't think I'll be making one any time soon.

Ruth said...

It's a good thing you are able to figure it out. I probably would have just dumped it - or taken it to the "Trick or Treat" exchange my guild is having at our October meeting. That would have tricked someone for sure! I love how it is turning out though.

Every Stitch said...

Well done working that one out - they look wonderful. Thanks for showing your method of construction - always good to see how these can be pieced!
Hilda

Janan said...

I am glad you got that one figured out. I have never sewn this block. It looks great!

Barb said...

Your technique looks like it is getting perfect results! Love your colors.

Carla said...

You are so talented in so many ways, Karen. Thanks for sharing your process with us! I'm loving the results, too!

Sinta Renee said...

I love this new project of yours and your technique is wonderful!

Brown Dirt Cottage said...

Thanks for your technique tips! I have earmarked this "cause I have one of these on my list!!

Yours is lovely!!

Kathryn D. Duke said...

You are doing a wonderful, neat job...but still looks pretty complicated to me!!