background

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Trying Something New

Over the years, I've made many T-shirt quilts.  I love making them.  The challenge of trying to make something cohesive and artistically pleasing out of a pile of old t-shirts - well, it definitely keeps this old brain engaged :).
This quilt is for a girl who's graduating from high school as a gift from her parents.  It was so special to work on this as my DD graduated from this same high school 19 years ago! How is that possible (oh yeah, I just celebrated my 40th wedding anniversary LOL!)
This quilt turned out bigger than most, there were a lot of t-shirts and I had a hard time getting it all in the picture.  It ended up with 36 blocks.
Her mom told me that she loves camo :).  Perfect for the back.  Moda put out a pink camo several years ago, but I couldn't find ANY!  So I found this pink camo fleece.  This is the new part - I've never used fleece as a backing for a quilt. 
I decided not to use a batting as the quilt was so big and it didn't need the extra weight. The fleece gives it the perfect amount of loft and it's snuggly soft.  It behaved perfectly and looks great!!  So in the last month I've quilted minkee and fleece -feels good to be trying new things.   I used the curly design from the b/w fabric to do an overall curl, comma design.
It's getting picked up today, I hope she's pleased.  There's always a bit of apprehension when you're making a quilt for someone that they don't see until it's done.  But I have a feeling she's going to love it.
 
Thanks for all the sweet anniversary wishes, have a great day.
Karen

8 comments:

FlourishingPalms said...

What a great quilt you've made! Though I'm not a fan of t-shirt quilts, I sure understand the sentiment behind it, and you've made this one look extra nice! Love the fleece backing and knowing what you think of it. Now I'll consider using it on one of my quilts. You sure get a lot accomplished for having a job too!

Barb said...

great job! love this tshirt quilt. the camo backing is fantastic!

Kim Brackett said...

I can't believe you were able to find that fabric! The quilt is so cool!

audrey said...

That fleece is a great idea! Most kids love the feel of it for snuggling anyway. Your quilt looks wonderful and is sure to be full of good memories. I always have that apprehension too. Guess it's just part of putting so much of ourselves into our craft!

Becky said...

Hi Karen, what kind of interfacing do you use on the t-shirts? I've got one in progress but the shirts seem awfully stiff.

Kathryn D. Duke said...

THanks for his post...I am about to start my first and need tips...

Janan Doster said...

I think the pink camo fabric on the back is perfect!

Janan Doster said...

I think the pink camo fabric on the back is perfect!