background

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Catching Up - Part 2

Here is part 2 - you could call this the Christmas post.  This wallhanging was made from leftover triangles.  These are the bonus triangles you get when you cut off the ends of 2 1/2" strips when using a square to sew a triangle unit.  These were cut at 2" and finished at 1 1/2".
While they are not completely perfect, they were pretty close.  About 95% of them did not need any additional trimming or squaring up.  You can't see it but there's a pretty feather in the border.
The triangles came from making this..... a Christmas version of "Flowers for Nana Girl"!!  I've been wanting to make this pattern again since I made it originally for Kim's book "Scrap Basket Sensations".  In this version I made all the sashings and leaves scrappy - they were all made from the same fabric for the original.
Not only did I make one..... I made two!!  So you can imagine how many bonus triangles I ended up with - all coordinating Christmas.  I've actually got 3 more wallhangings made but not finished yet.
As you can see I used prints, homespuns, plaids, really anything that matched the border fabric.
I bought 2 yards of this Hoffman fabric several years ago, and needed to use it up.
Using all the scrappys strips and leaves was so much fun.
I needed to stretch this backing so I used some of my many 2 1/2" strips I had left over.
And of course I did my favorite swirl flower quilting design, I just love the way this looks.  So all of these will be for sale too.  There's more to come... stay tuned. 
 
Oh, and by the way, the sweet potatoes last night were absoulutely delicious!!!!! So sweet and not stringy at all.  I had to boil that sucker for an hour in my big soup pot and the inside still was not completely done.  But we are very excited that they taste so good.  I weighed them - 24 pounds!  I need to check the garden as there are probably still more out there.
-Karen

4 comments:

Kim Brackett said...

You've been so busy! I love the Christmas quilts. And I really love the little triangle quilt. So many tiny pieces!

Karen said...

You have made good use of those little left over triangles. I tend to just throw those away. I am cleaning up the sewing room and found a bag of triangles of many, many fabrics that I cut for a project. I forgot all about them. Now, I am thinking I should just pass them on.

Darlene said...

I have a couple of ziploc bags of half square triangles from a shop at a local quilt shop....they are just sitting around. Love your idea - may have to borrow it (if you don't mind) :-)

Vivian said...

I've been saving leftover triangles forever, and not very many have gone into a project, but you've given me inspiration. That's a sweet little quilt.
AND -- I've been anxious to make your Flowers for Nana Girl pattern, especially since it's been honored with a spot in the 2013 calender. I've wondered how it would look in Christmas fabric, and it's gorgeous!! That pattern just shot to the top of my list for a Christmas quilt for next month. You've inspired me doubly with this post.