background

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Building a Border

Building a border is much more difficult than choosing a piece of fabric to match.  You would think using random lengths of 2 1/2" strips that it would be pretty easy to create a border.  I struggled just a bit.  I raided my red stash to find pieces that are remotely close to this line of Grace by 3 Sisters.  Many of the red pieces from that line didn't work as they had too much floral pattern and color to read as red.  I thougt about doing the border red and green, but there was so much green I thought it needed the red to balance it out.
I finally got the center part pieced and down off the design wall.  I will finish the border soon as I need to send it to a friend to show as a sample. 
This is going to be so pretty!!
Until next time,
Karen

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's pretty! Is this one of Kim's designs? It sure goes in my living room!

Terry said...

It's beautiful! I loved pieced borders, but sometimes they can be a real pain. I'm sure you'll figure yours out. :0)

carol fun said...

So pretty! Conceptually doing a border with scraps seems so easy, but finding just the right scraps is hard. You have a great start here. Hang in there!

Diane said...

Karen I am so excited about the August retreat! I have signed up and hope beyond hope that nothing goes wrong and I can attend. When Nina showed me your quilt while I was in Mobile the other day I was amazed at how beautiful it was. Beautiful colors!
I love the look so far of the red border.

Karen said...

The red is a good choice as a border. I can understand why you don't want to use the red & green combo. Makes sense. The red border really makes the red pinwheels pop.

Ruth said...

It is going to be gorgeous! I can't wait to see it finished.

regan said...

Yes, I really like the red pieced border....it does balance the quilt out.....perfectly! Very nice!

Janet said...

It's looking beautiful and I love the border treatment and how it frames the quilt without competing too much. It's been years since I pieced a border, I've probably forgotton how to.

Darlene B said...

This is a beautiful quilt! Can you share the pattern name? dsb448@att.net

Ineke Original said...

What a beauty! Just love it!