background

Monday, August 16, 2010

Looking for something else

You may remember this wallhanging from my post a while back. Well, the other day I was looking for something else, and I found a piece of the original fabric. This project was made by cutting up a focal piece into small squares. You then sorted by color and then into light, medium and dark. You then start to create whatever picture you see in your mind. I wanted mine to look like the mountains of North Carolina. Here's a close up of the squares.

Here is the original fabric. There were hunting men, horses and dogs.
How funny is that?? I'm really glad I've found this. I'm going to applique it on the back of the piece so I'll remember what it looked like. It's fun to go back and look at the finished piece and see parts of the men, dogs and horses.
All in all, I'm pleased with this. It's one of my early works (early 90's), put in a drawer and finally finished 4 years ago. This is one of the very first things I machine quilted.
I've been busy working on a big project that is almost ready for a reveal. Plus I've finished another quilt to be sent to it's owner soon. Pictures to come.

Until next time, make something beautiful.

Karen

7 comments:

Vivian said...

Interesting, interesting project. I'm so glad you found some of the original fabric to put on the back for comparison to your scenic front.
Anxiously awaiting your next shared projects.

Anonymous said...

I would have never guessed you can change up the fabric that much. Wonderful idea to put a square on the back of the quilt..a bit of history.

QuiltSue said...

Isn't it amazing how different the fabric looks when cut up? I think that's a brilliant idea to add a pice of the original fabric on the back.

Janet said...

That is so neat and it looks like fun as well. I like that you're putting the original on the back.

Becky said...

Wow, Karen, I never would've thought about cutting up the fabric like that to make a whole different picture. Very nice!

Kim Brackett said...

That looks like a fun project. I'd love to try that. Great idea putting a piece of it on the back!

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

what fun! so glad I found you! it looks great!