Friday, March 12, 2010

Thank you gift

About 10 years ago, a good friend of mine asked me if I would make a t-shirt quilt for her niece who was graduating from high school. I'd never done one before, but I said yes. I had it long arm quilted by a friend and I saved the little scraps from the sashings.

Several years later, she called me again. Another niece was graduating... you get the picture.

Four years ago I plunged into the world of machine quilting myself (not long arm) and so I started quilting those t-shirt quilts myself. I believe there have been a total of 7. With so many strings left, there was only one thing to make - a string quilt.

The colors are so wild, and I'm sure will bring memories of all her nieces. I'm delivering it tomorrow. Hope she likes it. I forgot to take a picture of the back, but it's very neutral so she can turn it over LOL.

So thanks for trusting me, and thanks for the memories.
Until next time,


QuiltSue said...

What a clever idea to save the extra strips and then make your friend a "memory" quilt from them. She's going to love it I'm sure.

Exuberant Color said...

I LOVE that quilt!!!

Magnolia Bay Quilts said...

That's such an amazing quilt! I love all the bright, happy fabrics. I can't wait to hear all about how much she loves it. What a great idea to combine the scraps from all her gift quilts.

Doodlebug Gail said...

OMG - what an amazing quilt! I love brights and black just makes all those colors pop. What a great idea to make a thank you gift by using all the leftover - good for you!

kjquilts said...

Hi Karen! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. Your quilts are incredible! In the 90s I lived in Niceville, FL and belonged to the Flying Needles Quilt Guild. We used to visit a quilt shop on the east side of Pensacola. Can't remember the name though. I enjoyed reading through your blog.

Lazy Gal Tonya said...

I'd never turn it over - love these bright happy colors!