background

Friday, March 12, 2010

Thank you gift

About 10 years ago, a good friend of mine asked me if I would make a t-shirt quilt for her niece who was graduating from high school. I'd never done one before, but I said yes. I had it long arm quilted by a friend and I saved the little scraps from the sashings.

Several years later, she called me again. Another niece was graduating... you get the picture.

Four years ago I plunged into the world of machine quilting myself (not long arm) and so I started quilting those t-shirt quilts myself. I believe there have been a total of 7. With so many strings left, there was only one thing to make - a string quilt.

The colors are so wild, and I'm sure will bring memories of all her nieces. I'm delivering it tomorrow. Hope she likes it. I forgot to take a picture of the back, but it's very neutral so she can turn it over LOL.


So thanks for trusting me, and thanks for the memories.
Until next time,
Karen



6 comments:

QuiltSue said...

What a clever idea to save the extra strips and then make your friend a "memory" quilt from them. She's going to love it I'm sure.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I LOVE that quilt!!!

Kim Brackett said...

That's such an amazing quilt! I love all the bright, happy fabrics. I can't wait to hear all about how much she loves it. What a great idea to combine the scraps from all her gift quilts.

Doodlebug Gail said...

OMG - what an amazing quilt! I love brights and black just makes all those colors pop. What a great idea to make a thank you gift by using all the leftover - good for you!

Unknown said...

Hi Karen! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. Your quilts are incredible! In the 90s I lived in Niceville, FL and belonged to the Flying Needles Quilt Guild. We used to visit a quilt shop on the east side of Pensacola. Can't remember the name though. I enjoyed reading through your blog.

Tonya Ricucci said...

I'd never turn it over - love these bright happy colors!