background

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A new beginning and an ending

Last year, my assistant at work lost her dad. A few months later she asked me if I would make a quilt out of her dad's ties. It was to be a gift for her mom for Mother's Day. Having never done a tie quilt before.... I said sure. (Sometimes I have trouble saying no, and I love a challenge) How hard could it be?? As it turned out, not hard at all. And what would we do without the internet? A few clicks, and there was everything you could possibly want to know about making a tie quilt. The hardest part, was disassembling the ties. Those silk threads were pretty tiny.
This is my friend, Barb. She was so thrilled with the results and her Mom uses it regularly. It's a very special thing to make a remembrance quilt for someone at the end of their long life. At the other end of the spectrum, is a new baby. This is the quilt I designed for my newest great-niece, Kennedy Lynne. These are the colors and shapes of the fabric in the nursery. This is my sister Debra - she's the proud grandmother.


I just cut random 2 1/2" strips and then appliqued circles. It was so fast and fun and my niece was thrilled. It's a little hard to tell, but each circle became the center for a quilted flower motif. Lots of the fabrics had circles in them, so it was a happy quilt to work on. Yellow, green and brown is a little non-traditional for a baby girl, but this quilt was adorable.

Hope your day is sunny.
Until next time,
Karen



8 comments:

~Laurie~ said...

Both, so nice!

QuiltSue said...

What a lovely idea the tie quilt is, and it looks great.

The baby quilt is beautiful, and not too "baby"-ish.

I think both recipients will be very happy.

Janet said...

Both quilts are wonderful. I think you did a terrific job with the tie quilt.

Rose Marie said...

That is truly a special tie quilt. Our problems often are easily solved by just browsing around on the web for ideas and tips.

The baby quilt is adorable and what a simple but unique look!

Kim Brackett said...

This post made me a little teary-eyed. I miss you and Barb! That was such a sweet gift for her mom.

And I had forgotten about Kennedy's quilt. I love the little flowers quilted around the appliqued circles.

Hope you have a sunny day, too. I'm home a little early, and it's so nice to see daylight!

em's scrapbag said...

What a special memory you have created for your friend's mom. The quilt is beautiful. The baby quilt is very cute. I love the simple strips with the circles.

Anonymous said...

When did I miss this post? I like strips and a few dots!

Doodlebug Gail said...

Love both of these! The tie quilt is gorgeous - did you use anything for a foundation for them? I've never done one and believe that the silk can be difficult to work with - just wondered if you'd used a muslin backing.

The colours on the baby quilt are so calming - nice design, quick to put together - wasn't it?