background

Friday, March 19, 2010

Changing the Fireplace Quilt

Probably the thing I dislike most about my house is the fireplace. My DH loves it, but it's too dark and massive for my tastes. I've talked to several painters about painting the brick or the grout and they all said I'd probably make it worse. So several years ago, I came across this great frame and decided to do a series of quilts to fit inside the frame. What else do quilters think of putting in a frame??? I loved it!!

I started with this one. I had just started machine quilting and this was my first "major" project. The pattern appeared in American Patchwork and Quilting (my favorite magazine) as the alternative layout and I had all the scraps, so I had nothing to lose if I totally ruined it or I didn't like it.


I had just repainted my dining room a clay brick red, and needed to bring some red into the living room so this seemed perfect. It's mounted to a 24 x 36" foam board with a staple gun. It's not perfect, but for my first attempt, I was pretty pleased.

Here's a sample of my "wonderful" stitching - like I said, it was my first attempt.




But it seemed so wintery, that I knew I needed a spring quilt next. Probably the thing I love the best is baskets and leaves. I love to applique' and so I knew what the next project would be.



I brought in the red this time in the flowers. The gold adds a lot of warmth and kind of brings the quilt out. This one was hand appliqued and hand quilted . They're really small and I love to hand quilt. I had a blast doing this one.



So this is the spring quilt, and will be up for several months. You'll have to wait to see the rest, so far I've made 5. Still to come are my summer, fall and Christmas quilts.

This one absolutely makes me smile. My daughter loves dragonflies, and so these remind me of her. There is echo quilting around the whole thing. Framing quilts gives them such a different feel.
Happy Spring y'all (tomorrow), it's still chilly here - especially for Florida. But the sun is shining and I know the heat will be here too soon for me.

Until next time,
Karen





9 comments:

Darlene said...

Beautiful solution(s) for your fireplace, Karen.

Ruth said...

That is such a good idea!! I'm almost finished with a wall hanging that I want to hang above our fireplace, but I have no idea how I'm going to be able to hang it. Might have to put it somewhere else. I do love both of yours.

Anonymous said...

I love framed quilt blocks etc. Funny as today I pulled out a frame and was trying to figure out the size block I needed for it. I want to gift it. It turns out the opening is a weird 5" something size! I think I'll go with some sort of applique...who knows! It got shoved back into the closet. Yours really makes the mantel friendlier. :-)

Blessed said...

Beautiful - you have done a lovely job, and brought through the colors nicely from dining room. The framed quilts really "break-up" the brick. Well done.

QuiltSue said...

Theyare beautiful quilts, and what a clever idea. I am looking forward to seeing the rest of them.

Janet said...

You have such talent. I love the framed pieces, I'm all for it. I've been looking around your blog for the first time and I'm going back to look at more. Your quilts are fantastic, I'm mad about the New York Beauty, congratulations.

Kim Brackett said...

I really enjoyed seeing these again. It was so much fun to watch them materialize. Can't wait to see the rest!

Pat said...

Your work is truly beautiful, and such a geat idea. I also havae a fireplace, but put a wall hanging above it, and have some miniature ones in frames on the fireplace. Just such great ideas you have. Thank you very much for sharing. Happy Quilting.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

What a wonderful solution to your fireplace "problem"!! I would have never thought of framing a quilt ... but I just might have to give it a try (especially since the picture above our fireplace isn't really in the style I prefer any more).

I'm so glad I found your blog ... I love seeing all your quilts (for working full time, you sure have gotten more quilts finished than I did when I was working full time!) and I love the "connection" with Pensacola (my mom & dad wintered in Perdido Key for 15-20 years, and now that my mom's gone, my Dad still visits the area during the worst of winter up here in Illinois ... and I always come down for a few days to visit).