background

Monday, March 8, 2010

A special quilt, a special ribbon

This quilt was made in the summer of 2008 as an entry in our guild's quilt challenge called "Shades of Nature". Each participant got 3 paint colors (on an index card) and you had to make a quilt based on those colors. This quilt ended up being # 7 in a series of 9 quilts (I had a slight learning curve drafting my own pattern in EQ6). Each one is different. I kept a few, sold a few of them, and still have 2 left that are for sale.

My 3 colors were a creamsickle orange, bright yellow and lime green. I had never really worked with batiks before, so this was a blast for me to have an excuse to buy little 1/8 yd pieces of lots of fabrics. I have never entered a quilt in the machine quilting category before. I was a little nervous, but felt like this was my best effort. And I figured I'm at the point where I'm ready to hear some constructive criticism from the judge. Probably having it in the small category helped, but either way, I was thrilled.


I still love these colors, they are way outside my normal, but that's the whole point of a challenge - right??
My computer has crashed, so I'll be a little limited for the next few weeks waiting for my new one.
Until next time,
Karen


6 comments:

Darlene said...

Wonderful challenge resulted in a gorgeous quilt, Karen.

Kim Brackett said...

One of my favorites! (So what's up with you and all these points?) :)

Talk to you tomorrow!

Esther Aliu said...

Your quilts are stunning!
Thank you for sharing.

Doodlebug Gail said...

Wow - this is absolutely stunning. You certainly rose to the challenge. Well done on the ribbon .... thanks for visiting my blog, I've added you to my Bloglines list so that I don't miss out on anything else which you're creating.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That is an interesting color challenge and batiks were the best way to interpret it. It's beautiful.

Karen said...

This quilt is gorgeous. I love quilts that have circular designs with spikes. Very good colors.