background

Monday, March 8, 2010

A special quilt, a special ribbon

This quilt was made in the summer of 2008 as an entry in our guild's quilt challenge called "Shades of Nature". Each participant got 3 paint colors (on an index card) and you had to make a quilt based on those colors. This quilt ended up being # 7 in a series of 9 quilts (I had a slight learning curve drafting my own pattern in EQ6). Each one is different. I kept a few, sold a few of them, and still have 2 left that are for sale.

My 3 colors were a creamsickle orange, bright yellow and lime green. I had never really worked with batiks before, so this was a blast for me to have an excuse to buy little 1/8 yd pieces of lots of fabrics. I have never entered a quilt in the machine quilting category before. I was a little nervous, but felt like this was my best effort. And I figured I'm at the point where I'm ready to hear some constructive criticism from the judge. Probably having it in the small category helped, but either way, I was thrilled.


I still love these colors, they are way outside my normal, but that's the whole point of a challenge - right??
My computer has crashed, so I'll be a little limited for the next few weeks waiting for my new one.
Until next time,
Karen


6 comments:

Darlene said...

Wonderful challenge resulted in a gorgeous quilt, Karen.

Magnolia Bay Quilts said...

One of my favorites! (So what's up with you and all these points?) :)

Talk to you tomorrow!

Esther said...

Your quilts are stunning!
Thank you for sharing.

Doodlebug Gail said...

Wow - this is absolutely stunning. You certainly rose to the challenge. Well done on the ribbon .... thanks for visiting my blog, I've added you to my Bloglines list so that I don't miss out on anything else which you're creating.

Exuberant Color said...

That is an interesting color challenge and batiks were the best way to interpret it. It's beautiful.

Karen said...

This quilt is gorgeous. I love quilts that have circular designs with spikes. Very good colors.