background

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Momoe's Star from a New Friend


I got an email last month from someone who lives in Ottawa, Canada.  She was looking for information about Momoe's Star and had found my blog after doing a search.  I've made 3 of these quilts, have taught several workshops on the pattern and blogged about it here, so my blog came up when she did a search.  We communicated back and forth several times, and then a few days ago.......
I received these pictures.  In about 5 weeks time, Anita Brazeau completed her first Momoe's Star as a gift for her sister.  And this is NOT a small quilt either.
I am completely blown away by the beauty of the quilt and the speed by which she made it.  She told me she machine pieced the blocks and hand pieced the quilt.  Anita, you are amazing and your quilt is too.  I hope your next Momoe's Star is for you :)!
Happy Stitching,
Karen

6 comments:

Karen said...

That was fast and well done. Lots of bright, cheery fabrics used.

Vivian said...

WOW!! It's a beauty. You must have given her excellent advice in those e-mails. Now I have to look up info on your blog. (As if I need another one on my bucket list.)
It looks like each star is a hexagon made from 6 equilateral triangle. A smaller triangle (the star) is basted on top of the background triangle, with a bias edge--not straight of grain-- "out in the open." That bias edge is gently curved under and stitched in place before the triangles are stitched together.
Is that close? That's just what I gathered from your photos. Momoe's Star is a very interesting design. Your posts from the past show a lot of smiling faces when you've taught the class.

Vivian said...

I looked at your Momoe's Star photos again. I was wrong (in comment above). Each hexagon is intact--not sewn from 6 triangles. Those plaid stars have no seams, so they're each one piece too. Is that right?

Penny from S.C. said...

I'm curious myself - where can one find this pattern? I love hand work! Beautiful quilt. Thanks for sharing.

QuiltSue said...

What a beautiful version of a lovely quilt.

FlourishingPalms said...

Whoa! Such a stunning quilt. Love the colors. And she made it in only five weeks?! Now I'm just plain jealous that she could commit herself to one project like that. Why can't I manage to do the same?!