background

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Memory Quilt #4 and My Not Quite Formal Flowers

Here is memory quilt #4.  I  actually did what I set out to do - make 4 different patterns.  
What's really funny is that I thought I knew which one would be my favorite, but as I made each one, they all became special.  My favorite changed four times!!
We'll see which one ends up in my house.....
Last year I was obsessed with making these bright leaves, it was my car project several times.  When it was all said and done, I had over 400 and needed to think about what to make with them.  
My Dahlia Revisited was the first project to use a bunch of them.  Since I had to make more purple and green to make the colors work it didn't go very far in trying to use up my 400 plus leaves.
 I needed another car project last month and decided to start a vase of flowers with bright blue stems to go with the bright leaves.
I knew I didn't want it formal like "Vintage Blooms" below, so it's quite modern I think :).  I like the B&W vase with the colored leaves.
So instead of Baltimore Album like this.....
I got this!  And did you notice there are no flowers - just leaves?  They are not in their final places yet, but it's pretty close.  The yellow dot for the background will work for this once I get another border around it to set it off.
I've started the applique but it's now become a lunch time project at work, so it might take a while.
And since this is the year of green and purple for me, I'm getting ready to start a new green and purple quilt.  This time I'm adding black and white.  I've drawn it out in EQ7 so we'll see how things go.
After the sadness lately, there's a lot of  happy color therapy going on :).
Happy stitching today,
Karen

11 comments:

Nifty Quilts said...

Oh! Your memory quilts are all so beautiful. I love the way you've offset the blocks in this one. I couldn't pick a favorite either. Each one is so precious and made with love. Your leaf creations are astounding! I think we should all have a few hundred leaves hanging around.

Karen said...

The black and white fabric makes a good vase along with the bright leaves. The design is good.

Heather said...

I just love this memory quilt pattern. I have been looking for a quick and simple pattern to make a masculine charity quilt. I pulled all my old plaids and a few prints but could not get inspired. Something like this will be perfect. I hope you don't mind if I borrow your idea!

Ruth said...

That is a good pattern for men's shirts. I have just been unpacking my fabric boxes and put all my men's shirts in a large plastic bin - it is chuck full! I might see a masculine charity quilt in my future too! I love your new appliqué vase! Very cheery!

QuiltSue said...

Each of your memory quilts has been great. I love your Bright Leaves too.

Alison said...

Can you tell me what a car project is? Do you stitch in the car?

Alison

quiltsathome said...

I love your quilt !

FlourishingPalms said...

Such a pretty leaf-y quilt top. It's apparent you enjoy hand appliqué. I do too, but not nearly as much as machine piecing and quilting. I'm also impressed that you've put together FOUR different quilt tops in the past few weeks. Talk about being full of energy...

Sparky said...

ohhhhh wow...such pretty details, colours, images, and soooo inspiring to say the least

antique quilter said...

ok I just love this vase quilt with the leaves, it is beautiful I need to try doing something like this with all my brights (ah yes I just said that me!)
thanks for the inspiration
Love the memory quilt, wow!
Kathie

audrey said...

Great work on your memory quilts. So wonderful that you love them all.:) I'm loving your vase with the bright leaves--beautiful!