Here is the end of the story to this -
After listening to the animals talk to me, I decided to use my favorite "One of a Kind" technique and make "sort of" matching quilts for the 2 twin boys. I guess you could call this "Two of a Kind" :).
After trimming the 54" fabric to 36", I was left with about 18" WOF times the length, about 2 1/2 yards. I cut up as many animals as I could, starting with a 16 x 18" block as the largest and going down from there.
I pulled as many fabrics from my stash that matched the basic colorway and cut 2 1/2" strips. This is a slight variation of the original OOAK technique which is built on a 4" grid. But 2 1/2" finishes at 2" so it's basically the same, only a little more complicated as the pieces are smaller.
I tried out several different layouts, putting them up on my design wall and taking pictures. As you can see, I ended up with a Lion quilt and a Hippo quilt.
There were random body parts and pieces I was able to use - which I hope, when they get older, will be fun for the boys and not too disturbing to see a one-eyed lion and an elephant with no head :).
Here are the 2 backs, pretty much identical.
So they ended up the same, but different.
Which to me was perfect for twins.
So, all in all, I think the animals did a pretty good job talking to me. Hopefully, one day I'll meet the parents at church and see if they liked them.
At the end of the day, it's always good to exercise your brain and do something really different and outside your normal box.
I'm happy I said yes.