This quilt has taken me on quite a journey. Today I finished hand appliqing the last little piece (at least I hope so). Last year I feel like I spent weeks staring at the borders trying to figure out what to do, I finally made a plan. A big thank you to Janet from Quiltsalott. I sent her pictures and asked for her opinions. What she told me it needed was exactly what I had thought, but I needed someone else to say it. So thanks Janet.
The first plan was 4 scallops with 9 petals on each scallop. That grew to 5 scallops on each side with 11 petals. Then came the flowers, a variation of the the center flowers complete with those fussy little leaves. Then what to do at the bottom of the stem. A decision to make 2 berries for each flower - seemed to be perfect........ until I sewed the borders to the center. I didn't really know what I was doing, so I didn't measure very well. I ended up needing to rip out 8 of the 20 scallops - 2 of them completely. Then I had to rip out petals - a total of 56!!!!! Oh well, live and learn. But I am proud to say, it is done!!!!
It is so hard to remember a year ago when it started out looking like this.
I found this piece about 6 months ago and knew if was perfect for the back, it is absolutely beautiful.
Thank you Jo :). So I'm ready to baste and then start the hand quilting. It needs to be done in time for our quilt show next April.
I sometimes thought this day would never come. I know it's not done, but it's a whole lot more done than it was 6 months ago. I'll share quilting updates from time to time. I still love everything about this quilt :)!