background

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Getting Ready for Retreat!!

I only have 2 more days until I leave for Retreat - yay!!!!  The most interesting and different thing about this retreat is that I'm the teacher!  Yikes! How did that happen?  Well, here's what happened..........
To some of you, this will look familiar.  This is the 9 Patch Pineapple quilt I made last year to present as a program for our guild.
I presented it as a mystery quilt, starting with a 6" strip and showing how all the units were made until you ended up with this block.
Here's the finished quilt (before borders).  It is absolutely beautiful in person - so rich with the rusts, browns, reds and greens.  After I presented this I was approached by the Azeala City Quilters' Guild in Mobile, AL to do a program for them, and I decided on doing my One of a Kind Quilts.  I was then asked if I would be interested in being the Retreat leader and did I have a project in mind.  I immedeiately thought of the 9 Patch Pineapple.  Done deal!
We all agreed and I decided to make a smaller version in another colorway to help the girls get inspired :).
I ended up with this Christmas quilt using only 9 blocks mostly from the Grace fabric line.
It's going to look so pretty on my table this year.  It's been over in Mobile visiting for several months, so I'll have to get busy when I get back.
There are 42 girls signed up - two are even coming from New Orleans!!  I've started doing the instructions and my design wall and I will admit there are a few little butterflies forming.  But it's a great bunch of girls and I hope they all have fun.  I'll let you know how it all turns out.....  I'm REALLY excited!!!!!
Until next time,
Karen

10 comments:

Darlene said...

Great looking project, Karen. I wanna go - can I go - I promise to behave. LOL

Abby and Stephanie said...

Super exciting retreat ahead. I hope you take photos and share the various colorways everyone uses. Have fun.

Karen said...

You are going to be one busy gal working at the retreat. Hope you get some relaxing time too. The pineapple design is a very interesting. A pinwheel surprise.

regan said...

Have a wonderful time, and enjoy every minute of the retreat! The quilt is gorgeous, and those ladies are going to love making it!

Sinta Renee said...

Don't listen to Darlene... she won't behave! Your project is gorgeous. You will do just fine. Don't worry!! Everyone is there to have fun:)

Barb said...

great pineapple quilt - love the scrappy red borders.
have fun!!

Anonymous said...

How fun..enjoy!

Angie said...

Gorgeous--in both color ways. :)

FlourishingPalms said...

Such an honor to be invited to teach! You can be very proud of yourself. No butterflies allowed. You'll knock their socks off!

Browndirtcottage said...

That quilt of yours is just stunning!! I know you were a good leader and you all had lots of fun!!!