Here's the block before it was quilted, but the color is way off. Anyway, it's a sweet orphan a friend gave me several years ago and I threw it in the box.
Seeing so many little quilts out there, I decided maybe to just play and see if I could make a little quilt. I had a little bag of bonus hst's left over from a project using Cabbage and Rose. I'm so glad I spent the time to sew and press them, because they were waiting for me to use and they were all ready.
I started laying them out surrounding the orphan block. Guess how many I used? Every single one! I had exactly the number I needed to build a border. I'm sure that will never happen again. I didn't have any room to trim the orphan block so I had to add small strips to get the math to come out right. So it ended up being a 9 patch.
I had some yardage left, so I added the blue border called it finished! It was a little too big to probably be called a "little" quilt so I thought about how I could use it.
I saw my Viking sitting there with it's "lovely" cover. Why not use the quilt to cover my machine when not in use and I would get to enjoy the quilt all the time??
So that's what I've done!! I decided to make the side panels larger than the top and bottom to create the right shape to cover the machine. When the binding was on I took it outside (it quit raining) and took pictures. The color in these pictures is finally accurate!
I had so much fun quilting this - I can see why small quilts are so addicting! I looked at each section, started quilting and just let my hands wander.
This is a happy quilt and it's so rewarding to use up things I had stuffed away for a "someday" project. Who knew it would only take 17 1/2" of rain to inspire me :).
Here's the finished quilt. Pretty cool.
Here's the back :).
Well, maybe it's a little big :0!! I wanted to cover it completely - I guess I did that!! At least I'll enjoy seeing it often:).
I also worked on some other things - almost finished with them.
Have a great day,