The center is done!! My portable design wall is not quite big enough for the whole thing, but you can get the idea. I used 2 different fabrics for the 4 blocks and then one fabric for the setting triangles. They "read" as one fabric but I really like the subtle difference. I also used a variety of reds and greens that achieve the same thing - they look like one fabric until you get up close.
This picture was taken when just the units were done before anything was stitched down. It gave me my first glimpse of what this might look like - and I was pretty sure I was smitten :). (The lights make it look more yellow than it really is. The other pictures are natural light.) When developing an original idea, the hardest part for me is knowing if it will look good after going thru all the work!!
Just a reminder of what the early stages looked like as I was appliquing the blocks. There were times that I didn't know if I could stick with it. Between all the little curved leaves and stems and the reverse applique, it was slow going.
So now that the 4 block are together, the next stage is adding the vines and leaves. This is always hard for me to get a natural looking flow to the vines, but it's also so fun and creative. This is really when I wish I had more artsy talent. But in the end, I'm the one that has to like it. So I just kept fiddling, pinning and re-pinning lots of little leaves until it looked right to me. My favorite thing in the world to applique is leaves and vines - so I'm a happy camper as I work on this next part.
Until next time,