background

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Orca Bay almost done

I can't believe how even when you make a real effort to pay attention and pin things in the right order, something like this happens!!  And it was completely sewn down with all seam matching before I put it back on the design wall and discovered it!

Needless to say, it needed to be ripped out, but not before I made sure that I didn't like it this way better.  I experimented with several different sets, but in the end I didn't like them better...... so I spent time with the frogs.. rippit, rippit :).  I'm trying out different inner borders. I tried red and blue, but they didn't work - so I'm left with black and gold.  I'm thinking of using some of my 400 plus black and white hourglass units for the second border - I think I'll have enough.  I kind of like what happens but it will need to be set off with the right fabrics.  The first time I used black, but I kind of like the gold
I made the gold border smaller and this is where I am now.  The whole top is pieced and I'm going to live with it for a day or two and see how it grabs me.  I like how it pulls out the gold, but it may need to be smaller yet.  I also want to try the Kona black on the outside.  Any thoughts? Suggestions??
Until next time,
Karen

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know that the nor glass blocks add to it from the photo...perhaps nicer in person. The gold would be nice...but thin just to settle the eye from the gold in middle,

*karendianne. said...

Hi. Shucks, I am sorry you had to frog. Ugh.

I like the variety in the Orca Bay quilts and I know your talent so you'll pull a great idea and it'll be super. I can't contribute myself because I don't fully understand what happened? Is it all the blocks or not enough black for the inner border? I also can't contribute ideas because, well, usually that's not my strong suit. Silly but true. *karendianne.

Vivian said...

Frogging around isn't a favorite way to spend our time, but when it's not right, it's not right. So many options with the border. I won't give any suggestions. You'll add or change what feels right to you.

I love the colors you've used. Every single Orca Bay project I've seen seems a bit different, and each looks like a LOT of work. One of these days I'll try it. For now, it's added to yet another list.