background

Monday, October 17, 2011

Joy Angels

I have owned this book for probably about 15 years. I love Folk Art quilts and I've made lots of them. But there is one project in this book I've never made. I've used part of it, but never the way it was designed....... until now. This is the Joy quilt. I love these angels and have wanted to make this quilt forever!! But it's 61" x 21". That is an odd size. I guess you could use it for a table runner, but I wanted to hang it up. Where do you hang something that long and skinny? So I started walking around my house seriously looking for a place to hang it, and I ended up in the Dining Room.


Several years ago my DH painted my DR a brick red and I still love it. On the big wall is a fairly large watercolor painting (52 x 32). It struck me that if I made the quilt shorter and wider, maybe I could use the picture as a base and make a pocket of some kind on the back to hang the quilt. I've pulled out my precious stash or Robyn Pandolph Folk Art Christmas III and IV. It is still unbelievably gorgeous after all these years!! I am modifying the vine placement and adding a distinct border.


Can you see it???? How wonderful it's going to be??? I am very excited. And very grateful to Kim who came to the rescue with the perfect piece of green for the vine. How lucky for me that she hadn't cut it into 2 1/2" strips yet - LOL!!! Robyn decided to change the green on IV and there is virtually nothing on the market now that matches it. But now I've got a piece to make my vine, so I'm on my way.


I'm still working on my pink and green baskets (sort of) and also working on a secret project that I can't show for a while - but it's sooooo cool. I'm going to prep the applique for hand work as we're taking a trip in a few weeks and this will be perfect!

I am so excited that I'm finally making my own Joy quilt - I can't wait!


Until next time,


-Karen

12 comments:

Jan said...

Isn't it so fun to get something made that has been in the back of your mind for ages?! I've always liked this angel quilt, too. Thought that if I would make it that it could serve as a runner on a sideboard or buffet. It would look nice hanging above a doorway, too, I think, especially in an entranceway. Enjoy working on this piece - I'm anxious to see it when you are all done!

Barb said...

I really like that book and have used some of the patterns.
The angels are going to look amazing on that red wall!

Karen said...

I see you have made a start on your angels. I have mine across the sofa back in the living room. I mean the front of the sofa back, if that makes sense. It looks really nice displayed there.

Sandra Kaye said...

I remember that book. I think I have it too. And I did make the angels for the center of a quilt exchange once. That must have been 10 years ago. I need to dig that book out again. I love that pattern. I'm having a give away at my place.. hope to see ya there. Sandie

QuiltSue said...

I love the angels, and they look great against the red wall - they could have been made for each other.

Carol said...

Love your Joy Angels...what a great idea to use the picture. Oh you're so right...there's never been fabric like Robyn's Folk Art Christmas.

Janet said...

I loved the Red Wagon patterns, especially the angels which were my favourite. It's going to be a gorgeous wall hanging.

Terry said...

That's going to be beautiful! I like the border on yours! :0)

Sandra Kaye said...

Now I will be back, I'm your newest follower. :o) Hugs

Kim Brackett said...

They look so nice. You haven't worn out that book by now? :-) Boy does that bring back memories of our angel quilts!

julieQ said...

I just love your angels!! Joy to you...I know you are loving this!!

MamaT said...

It's wonderful! What a good idea to put it on the painting.