Anyway, even after making this quilt from the scraps of the 7 other Amy Butler quilts I'd made, there was still a considerable pile of scraps just waiting to be used. I almost think these things multiply when you're not looking!! (Now that I've basically finished the jacket and I still have this pile left, I'm thinking of some string blocks might be in my future :)!!!)
Back to the vacation project. So I decided to rescue an old pink sweatshirt from the goodwill pile and use my pile of scraps to make a sweatshirt jacket. This is what the outside looks like during construction. I have tried to start this project before, but by the time I get home from work, it seems kind of overwhelming to start. So getting away on vacation was the perfect time to start this.
This is the inside. I forgot to take pictures of the steps so I'll show the pattern pictures.
I'm using the pattern "I Can't Believe its' a Sweatshirt" by Back Porch Press. I love this pattern - I've made it three times for me plus once for my sister. I've also taught two workshops on this technique.
This is what the sweathsirt looks like when you first cut it apart and start sewing on the blocks.
You just keep layering blocks until you like the look. Then you quilt in wavy lines going in both directions.
Here's my progress so far, just starting to quilt.