background

Monday, July 19, 2010

Time to Change

Here's the next installment of the "Fireplace Quilts" series. This represents summer going into fall for me. It's an original adaptation of a little picture I saw in a quilt magazine years ago. Does anyone else cut out little pictures of quilts and put them in a folder? Well, I do, and this was one time I actually used it. As you can see from this previous post, I really like these flowers. I've used them before here. I love pulling in that dark red.

This was my first project to try several different techniques. I tried my hand at fused applique (flowers and leaves) and was very happy with how quickly it went together. However, I still used hand applique for the stems. The second thing I tried was to create a crazy patch piece of fabric for the ground and the wavy strip piece for the "sky". I'm very pleased with the way this turned out, the colors are very rich looking.
To me, this quilt in particular looks so good with the frame. It brings out all the gold in the wood.

And in case you think I forgot the kitty, here he is, hidden in the ground. What fun. I actually forgot where I put him, and had to hunt for a minute LOL!

Until next time, make something beautiful

Karen

13 comments:

Valentina said...

How lovely, Karen!
I love the gold and red...
But have a hard time believing you are already thinking of Fall... :)

Amy said...

Beautiful quilt! Love the colors!!!

antique quilter said...

oh I just love this, looks great on the mantel too.
I love when you find surprises in a quilt, whether it be a different block, or different fabric in a block, or let the fabric do the talking as in this case, adding this piece with the kitty looking out is adorable!
love the kittie!
Kathie

Terry said...

Yep, I save quilt pictures too! You did a great job on this one! I love it! :0)

Kim Brackett said...

This is probably my favorite of the fireplace series (at least until you put up the next one!). I love the flowers and the pieced background. And the frame idea is so cool -- it's like a rotating art show all the time.

Janet said...

I used to save pictures but I gave that up now, I never made anything from them. I love your latest fireplace quilt, the colours are fabulous. The background really looks great too.

Vivian said...

I save photos of quilts too -- from quilt magazines, quilt catalogs, quilt calendars, decorating magazines, advertising inserts -- anywhere I find them. And they just sit in a notebook or a folder or a stack somewhere. It's so nice to see somebody do something with an idea she saved.

Love your quilt. The blend of fabrics is charming.

Anonymous said...

This is a stunning quilt...LOVE the COLORS!!!

Unknown said...

I love your framed quilt! It's fun to try new things. Also love the hiding kitties in your quilts.

To answer your question about the size of the squares in my Sweet Sixteen quilt, they are 1 inch finished. You wouldn't have any trouble with that size, would you? Looks like you've had plenty of practice!

MamaT said...

You SHOULD be proud of the way it turned out. It's wonderful. I had to look really close for the kitty.

Rae Ann said...

What a gorgeous quilt Karen! I am so impressed with the colors you chose. I love the fact that you framed it.
I also have a folder full of pictures that have appealed to me. That is a fun way to get new ideas.

Anonymous said...

That is a gorgeous quilt. Yes, I keep small quilt pics for inspiration, too.

Michelle said...

I really like the strippy background.